Monday, June 7, 2010

Adventures with Dad - Part 1

My dad is here staying with me for the first time since I moved to Sioux City six years ago. He has Alzheimer’s and has been living with my brother Mark and sister-in-law Lea Ann in Oklahoma for the past 6 months. Mark is on a mission trip, so here’s my opportunity to experience all the fun “adventures” that accompany dad’s disease.

We had a delightful day yesterday. Well, besides the fact that he woke up at 3:30 a.m. and started wandering around the house, that is. After getting him showered up (gotta say, that’s quite a feat), we took the dogs on a long walk at 5:30 a.m. Dad must’ve thought he was the neighborhood beautification team because he kept picking up the neighbors’ trash as we made our way. We had a great time at church, including the grand tour of Sunnybrook, followed by a yummy meal at Texas Roadhouse before Mark and Tanner headed off for their mission trip.

Dad, my niece Shelby and I kept quite busy throughout the afternoon, taking a shopping trip to purchase annuals and then potting them all on the back deck. We also spray painted some chairs for the front porch and did a little yard work. Dad seemed a little winded during the painting session, and it struck me funny how full circle we’ve come. “Dad”, I said, “do you realize that you are paying the price these days for the strong work ethic you taught Mark and I? You worked us like dogs when we were growing up, and now we are doing the same to you!” We laughed in agreement. But here’s the thing: growing up, working together was the way we connected as a family. We didn’t spend time talking around a dinner table (that was just for eating) or playing games. There was always work to be done on the farm and that was what always brought us together. And as dysfunctional as that is, I have to admit, yesterday was the first time I’ve felt connected to my dad in ages. It was a joy and pleasure to work together, accomplishing tasks, small as they were. I’m really looking forward to spending this week together, and though it will be challenging at times, connecting with my dad is something I can never get enough of.


He actually slept ‘til about 6 a.m. this morning (that’s a miracle) and after walking the dogs, I started to cook him some breakfast. Before I knew it, he was out the back door, made his way behind our shed and relieved himself right in front of the neighbors! Holy moly, I think I’m gonna have my hands full this week!

To be continued….

No comments:

Post a Comment