Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Throwin' it off

This has been a rough winter. I moved to Sioux City in 2003 and this is by far the longest, coldest, snowiest and darkest season I’ve experienced. And it’s only February! Since my blog centers around a running theme, and the Hebrews 12:1-2 scripture, I’ve been reflecting on how very much this winter has been hindering me from what I love, running. I’ve allowed the snow piles, cold, ice and darkness in the early a.m. hours to stifle me. So the other day, I decided to throw off all that was hindering and entangling me. I layered up, put on my running spikes and went for it; six miles in the cold and snow covered sidewalks and trails. It was exhilarating! And it made me wonder, “Why have I been allowing this stuff to weigh me down?” I felt a real freedom out there, and determined I’m not letting the elements hold me back any longer.

My life parallels my running. I allow sin and my flesh to stifle me. It weighs me down and keeps me from doing the things I’m called to do. I make excuses, and sure they sound reasonable, but in the end, they are just excuses. And these things hinder me from God’s best; they entangle me and keep me from running the race that has been set before me. So today, I’m throwing it off, confessing it to God and allowing His grace and forgiveness to free me from the wrapped up mess that keeps me from the race.

I feel a run coming on.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you out there running again my love. Keep it up! I know how important it is to you. Great insight too about the parallels with life.

    ReplyDelete